I'm not interested in goals. I do like to have an aim, and I make tentative arrangements.
I just talked on the phone a minute ago and made a tentative arrangement to be a certain place tomorrow. But who knows. Something might happen, I don't get there, it's not going to cause any great difficulty, huh? No bother one way or the other. So, I don't want any goals. A goal is very much like an ideal – we've set that up, you know. I know people who have made it a goal to make x number of dollars this year. And they're really miserable all year and seldom get it done because they're so busy going to be pleased when they get their goal.
Did you ever hear somebody say, "I'll be glad when I get the kids through school. Be glad when we get out of debt. I'll be glad when we get our new house." You've heard that haven't you?
I'm glad right now. Okay? I'm glad right now. If I owe bills, well I'm glad somebody trusts me enough to get it, huh? And if they don't get their money on time, I'm not going to worry about it 'cause they should ‘a known better than to let me have credit in the first place. (laughter) They should ‘a known better than that, you see. So, I'm not going to go with all these worries.
But you know most people are going to be glad or pleased at a later date when something happens, is that correct? You look like you're enjoying today all right, aren't you? Huh? You don't have to wait till the kids are through school. You don't have to wait until you're totally out of debt. You know you can't really get out of debt anyway because by the time you get one set of bills paid, the others are already in the computer ready to come, so the light bills going to be here next month and everything on down the line, isn't it? So, you never get through.
And so, what's all the noise about “going to be glad later”? Now did you ever tell yourself you were going to be glad later? Hmm? Why not be glad now? Makes all that other stuff seem so insignificant. So, I'm glad right now, okay. Now's the only time I know of I can really do anything – is now. That's the only time I can feel anything. It's the only time I can do anything is now. I can talk about something I'm going to do later, but the only time I can experience anything is now.
No comments:
Post a Comment