Saturday, April 18, 2026

Taking for Granted

Honestly, I have taken for granted that I understood** what was meant* by taking things or people for granted* until I came upon an article by Rhondell:

WHAT IS MEANT BY BEING ASLEEP?

A frequent question asked by callers is what is meant in the teaching by the statement that most are asleep all the time? 

The most profound state of being asleep is the usual state of many, many individuals of taking everything, and everyone in their circle of associates, for granted. 

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are as nothing compared to the wonders in our everyday world. For instance, compare the highway and road system of the U.S.A. to the Great Pyramid; however we marvel at tne pyramids, scholars write many books about them, tourists travel thousands of miles to see and photograph them. But what about the rnarvel of the roadways of the U.S.A.? This great accomplishment of engineering is just taken for granted, little if any feeling of awe, wonder or gratitude arises in the individual. On the contrary, there is frequent fault finding with the bumps and cracks that might be present; & more complaints when a repair crew is present. 

Another example of a modern wonder that is just taken for granted is the distribution system. Just walk into any supermarket - food from anyplace and every place is arrayed for your convenience. Apples from Washington, blueberries from New Jersey, tomatoes from California, strawberries from Kentucky, chutney from England, curry powder from India, baking powder from Indiana, pineapple from Hawaii, flour from Minnesota, shrimp from Taiwan, fish from all parts of the world, and on and on. Is one thankful for all this bounty being brought to this one place for the convenience of everyone, or is there complaining because of the long lines at the checkout counter? 

This is enough for an example, but I could go on and on for volumes of books on the modern wonders. 

As an exercise in being awake, suppose that we pay attention to these many modern wonders and be thankful for the bounty in our everyday living. Not just in the examples given here, but look for wonders and you will see more and more every day. You can find yourself awake, full of wonder, awe and thanksgiving; a much, much higher state of consciousness than merely sleeping through day after day without seeing anything to be in a high state of being over. 

Reading about this will do NOTHING for One unless ACTED UPON!!!

From Arizona Newsletter vol 1, no 2..

To take for granted:

1. assume (something) as true, real, unquestionable, or to be expected

We took our invitation to the party for granted. = We took it for granted that we'd be invited to the party. [=we assumed we'd be invited and did not think about the possibility that we wouldn't be]

2. to value (something or someone) too lightly: to fail to properly notice or appreciate (someone or something that should be valued)

We often take our freedom for granted.

I'm tired of being taken for granted

(Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary)

** A15. "I" BELIEVE that in my present state "I" can understand any book printed in the language "I" speak, write and read. (From the Place of Language in the Teaching)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am going to be Glad later!

I'm not interested in goals. I do like to have an aim, and I make tentative arrangements. I just talked on the phone a minute ago and ma...