Now the only way I can be harmless is to find out what's harmful to you. I say I'm gonna be conscious: I am harmless, I choose my own inner state. Now I have not known what would be harmful to you, any more than I know what's good for you. But I have found out over many years of experimentation, what is harmful to me.
It's very harmful to me to be angry, feel guilty, or feel fearful or feel insecure. Those are emotions and they're really the only emotions, they are. They have many, many synonyms and gradual subdivisions and all that.
I was never designed to have them. And I find when I have one, they're very harmful - internally, externally, relationship-wise, and everthing else. So I found out once what's harmful to me and I wanna be harmless to everyone, so I wouldn't have those.
If I don't have those, I never harm you because I gotta get angry to bite you or hurt you, I have gotta be fearful before I would feel you're a big threat that I had to annihilate you, right? And I would have to feel you tempted me by making me feel guilty and 'fore I want to destroy you. Or I would feel insecure and if I am insecure, you must be blamed for it so I could kill you with the greatest of ease. But if I don't have these emotions, I would never harm anyone else.
So first, I have to start being harmless to me and I am harmless to me as long as I don't have those emotions and of course I don't use... commit physical violence. And I wouldn't commit physical violence unless I had one of the emotions. You can't just say, "Well, I'm gonna kill somebody. I feel real fine this morning, well, I gonna to kill somebody." You first have to gotta justify it by getting angry, feeling guilty and blaming you, or feeling fearful and blaming you. You see if I get fearful of somebody, I can go and shoot him right away.
..
Now let's see how emotions come about because we can see that without those emotions, I am harmless to me and if I am harmless to me, I'd certainly be harmless to you, right?
As long as you got those (emotions), we can talk about accounts receivable; now I got to have emotions before I build these.
Now basically everything we do is based on an expectation. Now as long as we feel that I don't have charge of my inner state, but circumstances do, I begin to build expectations as to how you should treat me, hmm? And I base this expectation on the ideal that you will treat me like I am entitled to be - that you should give me, lots of attention, approval, give me lots of pleasure and comfort, etc, right?
I will begin to expect and I will have my expectation based on the ideal. Now ideal is that other people have charge over circumstances, but I don't, is that right?
For the rest of this lecture please refer to Corona del Mar 1973 cd 6 under ARK folder
No comments:
Post a Comment